Friday 5 April 2013

Music, Movement, Singing and Dancing


I'm ashamed to admit it but music is not played everyday in our house, in fact it's really only played for any period of time when we are in the car.  I'm surprised when Lucas starts singing "Ba Ba Black Sheep". Woa! When did you learn that song?  I like to think I'm giving my kids a happy and fun environment to grow up in, but truth be told I'm not covering all the bases (or experiences) that could enrich their lives.  

Mission:  Spend at least 10 minutes every day signing, dancing, moving or listening to music.  

Result: We love it! :)  Both Lucas and Joshua get involved. And even my husband is dancing around the house.  Babies and toddlers love music!  

Here are my tips for engaging your kids in music?  

1. Sing. Weather its "Itsy, Bitsy Spider", "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" or the latest single from your favourite artist.

2. Dance.  Download songs or view songs online.  Make up dances or follow the dance moves suggested.  Focus the attention on the music and words.

3. Pick up your child and hold them while you sway to the music (*my favourite).

4. Go marching.  March around the house to a song with a strong beat.  Add in a clap, hop, or stomp.

5. Make instruments. Tie metal spoons together at different lengths – hang in a breezy area.  Place rice inside two paper plates stapled together and shake.

It's all about creating memories that will stay with you and your child forever.  Do you listen to music in your home?  What's your favourite thing to do while listening or creating music?

- Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment